Saturday, October 7, 2017

What Is My Favorite Time Of Day?

When I was in college, one of the classes I had to take was Composition.  I was so not wanting to take this class, but it was a requirement for my degree.  I was even less enthused when I was sitting in said class and the teacher stated that we have to keep a journal, write in it everyday, and turn it in periodically to be graded.  She said she did not care what we wrote about, but, sometimes she would give us something to write about.  "What Is My Favorite Time Of Day" was one such subject.  It was the 3rd entry in my journal, written in 2009.

What Is My Favorite Time Of Day?

The period just before and just after dawn is my favorite time of day.  It is almost as if time is standing still.  The quietness and stillness of the world at those times of the day are so amazing to me.  You can almost feel the expectation and promise in the air of a new beginning.

Gone is the mad rush of people from one place to another, the chaos and confusion, the noise, the pollution, the crushing heat in the summer, even if only for just a little while. 

It is a time for relaxation, reflection, and to sit back and enjoy nature.  It is a time to listen to the morning birds and think of, and appreciate all the beautiful things that has been placed upon this earth for our enjoyment.  It is a time to give thanks for those things in our lives that bring us pleasure and make us happy.  It is a time of promise, a promise that this day will be better than the last, that with this new dawn we have a second chance, a new beginning. 

Too soon will the noise come, the chaos and confusion, the unbearable heat, and people rushing to and fro without seeing or acknowledging you. 

When you start feeling anxious and lost in the never ending sea of humanity, it is then that you can think back on that dawn and remember the tranquility you felt, and find that peace within yourself again to sustain you until the next dawn. 

3 comments:

  1. Very well written and certainly something that many of us can relate to

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was widowed 4 3/4 years now and I know what you mean about the hodgepodge of topics that you say might come up in your blog. It takes time to work through all the emotions that goes through a widow's mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so well written. I know that time of day. It is my favourite, too.

    ReplyDelete

My Soul

My soul is cold, dark, and meaningless.  It reflects my life.